Thursday, January 14, 2010

OK, So Now What?


I never make New Year's resolutions, so that's not what I'm calling this. But, this year, I did decide to try to work even harder on building my freelance writing business. So I spent a weekend reading My So-Called Freelance Life by Michelle Goodman. You'd think after that I'd be energized and ready to go. But honestly, I'm scared. Scared of trying, then failing, finding out that I'm actually a horrible writer and people have just been being nice to me all these years. My brain completely seized up and I found myself sitting in front of the computer, unable to even will one good idea down onto paper.

During this staredown with my computer screen, I happened to click onto a blog post by writer Nikki Loftin, detailing what she does to get unstuck. The final analysis? Just do SOMETHING. Another one of my Christmas money gifts to myself was a subscription to mediabistro.com, so after forcing myself to read a few articles, then heading to the local bookstore to leaf through magazines for inspiration, I'm happy to report that the pump is primed. Faltering in my non-New Year's resolution just 14 days into the new year isn't great odds by far, but at least I've reminded myself that if I take just one step, the next one is so much easier.

2 comments:

Dave Wilson said...

Hooray for you, Danielle! It always feels great to go back to the page full of energy. I'm happy if anything I wrote helped.
BTW, the only "something" that doesn't help is spending time aimlessly surfing the web... like I'm doing right now. Hmmm. I'd better get back to work.

Write Well !
Nikki

Danielle Wong Moores said...

Thanks, Nikki! I really do love your blog...it's so helpful to read about other writers' trials AND successes. So glad that you commented! I'm looking forward to reading about your newest adventures~Danielle