Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Being Creative


To me, there's nothing better than planning a story, thinking through the words and how to start the sentences, how the paragraphs form together and conclude into a satisfying end. Sometimes I hate it, especially when I can't start a story and it flows jerkily along until I have a page full of scribbles and maybe one or two great phrases to show for it. Or when the darn thing just won't end the right way and it feels like I'm stopping short or making the very worst, awful cheese you could ever read. 

But when it works, you feel like you're coasting...the only thing you have to worry about is being able to type the words quickly enough before they fade into nothing.

My husband works in the newspaper industry and one of my very favorite things is to lie in bed with him, our dog scratching his belly contentedly beside us, and talk about ideas for stories and photos. It's just that much fun. 

No comments: